As you probably know, Tech Hockey Guide is entirely run by unpaid volunteers. We've got a great team already, and we're looking to expand. Most of our staff work remotely, but we have a few positions that we need filled in particular regions. Don't worry about the quality of your writing too much, most of us are engineers as well.
Writer - Home Games
We need a staff writer to attend Huskies home games in Houghton. Applicants must be based in the Houghton area. Responsibilities will take an expected 6-7 hours per home series and include:
- Attending and covering games from the press box in a professional manner.
- Attending post-game interview sessions with players and staff.
- Writing a weekly report on the Huskies' weekend performance.
Photographer - Road Games, Lower Mich.
We're looking for a staff photographer in Lower Michigan to take quality photos of road games at area opponents (UofM, MichSU, FSU, BGSU). Responsibilities will take 2-3 hours per assigned series and include:
- Attending at least one game per road series to take quality photographs.
- Applicants will have to furnish their own camera.
- Submit photos in a timely manner for use in publication.
Writer - Series Previews
Our series preview writer will write a weekly column with points of interest about upcoming opponents, projections for the series and the keys to the game. This position can be remote. Responsibilities will take 1-2 hours per week and include:
- Timely submission of quality preview content.
- Researching opponents and keeping track of recent performance of the Huskies.
Staff Writers - Columns and Features
Our column and feature writers write about everything happening around the team, the conference and the NCAA that doesn't get covered in weekly previews or wrapups. This usually means alumni and recruiting news, but if you've got an idea for a regular column, we'd love to hear it. Most of our writers are able to work remotely. Responsibilities have variable time commitments and include:
- Submitting a quality column on a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly basis with relevance to the Tech Hockey Guide audience.
Want to do something you don't see here?
If you've got an idea for something that you want to do for Tech Hockey Guide but we haven't listed it here, contact us anyways! We'd love to hear your ideas.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying to or have any questions about any of these positions, please email Editor-in-Chief Alex Slepak at email@example.com.